Δευτέρα 21 Σεπτεμβρίου 2009

MY WORLD TUESDAY: A DAY TRIP TO AEGINA

On Saturday my sister, her husband, my husband and i went for a day trip to Aegina.
Aegina is a small island of Saronikos gulf.
We had a vow to fulfil, a promise to St. Nektarios to visit his monastery, after my sister's recovery.
We took the little boat from the port of Salamina to Piraeus at 8 am.


And the ship from Piraeus to Aegina at 9:20 am.




The sea gulls kept us company all the way to Aegina.

We arrived at Aegina's port after an hour.


We had a short walk and then we took the bus to the monastery of St.Nektarios.


St. Nektarios is the Saint of our century for the Orthodox church.


He went to heaven in 1920 and because of the way he lived and the miracles he made before and after his death, the church blessed him with proclamation of sainthood in 1961.
His grave is in the monastery in a small church.




Next to his grave there's a tree that St. Nektarios planted himself and he loved very much.

And next to that there's a spring to quench people's thirst.


The holly skull of St.Nektarios.


Outside the monastery there's a new church of St.Nektarios, one of the biggest and the most beautiful i've ever seen.















We left the monastery at 12:20 pm and we went to the city of Aegina.
We had a walk to the alleys of the city, we had lunch and visited the small church of St.Nickolas at the port.








We took the ship from Aegina at 2:45 pm and we came back home at 5 pm.
It was my third visit to Aegina the last 15 years and every time i come back with peace and joy in my heart and beautiful memories.


Visit http://showyourworld.blogspot.com/
to see other places of our world.

29 σχόλια:

Brenda είπε...

I loved this post! It's always wonderful to see more of your beautiful country and cultures.

Donna είπε...

Thank you SO much for this little tour of your world!! I'll Never get to Really see this! Beautiful!hughugs

Janie είπε...

BEautiful city and monestary. I enjoyed the tour. Interesting that you could travel most of the way by boat.

George είπε...

Thanks for taking us with you on your trip to Aegina. It is as beautiful as I've heard your islands are. The information about St. Nektarios was interesting and your pictures are beautiful. You certainly live in a beautiful part of the world.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy είπε...

Antigoni: What a wonderful trip and your photos are outstanding.

Sylvia K είπε...

What a wonderful tour, Antigoni! And thank you for taking us along through your marvelous photos. They brought back lovely memories for me because I have been to Aegina and remember what a beautiful place it was! So happy you got to make the trip and have such a great time!

Sylvia

Elcmae είπε...

Thank you for taking us to Aegina. It looks so beautiful. The photos are wonderful. Thank you for sharing them.

Joe Todd είπε...

Really well done Thanks for letting me visit your world what a great tour

B i r g i t t a είπε...

Beautiful shots! Wish I were there now when we have cloudy weather here in the north :)

SandyCarlson είπε...

That is an impressive place.

Dirkjogt είπε...

Enjoyed your pictures very much. Beautiful monastry and church, thanks for sharing this!

Photo Cache είπε...

what a beautiful post. i hope your sister continues her recovery. god bless.

Photo Cache είπε...

Oh my entry is over at http://ewok1993.wordpress.com

Coffeedoff είπε...

Beautiful photos. Love the paintings in the churches!

eileeninmd είπε...

Lovely post on your trip to Aegina. I really enjoyed seeing all the sights. Thanks for sharing the photos and your part of the world for the day.

Regina είπε...

How beautiful that part of the world. Thanks for sharing.

magiceye είπε...

thank you for the wonderful trip to Aegina

Esther Garvi είπε...

That's a lovely tour!! You have many beautiful buildings to visit. Impressive!

Reader Wil είπε...

Thank you for the wonderful post! The tour around was so lovely, thank you! Saint Nicholas is Amsterdam's patron saint and we celebrate his birthday on 5th December. Every child in the Netherlands and Belgium knows who St.Nicholas is!

ayamlin είπε...

Hi Antigoni!
I'm glad to hear good news from you:)
Oh, I could go there with you guys!!
Aegina looks really beautiful and attractive.
I wanna go there! Oh, I really wanna go there!
God would be in your fourth picture. the white sun shine is beautiful!

EG CameraGirl είπε...

Wonderful informative post, Antigoni. I've never heard of Aegina before so this was all new to me.

alicesg είπε...

Lovely photo for skywatch. It is nice to go an a trip with your family. I am sure you have a great time. Have a nice weekend.

Ανώνυμος είπε...

A lovely tour of a lovely city. And how fortunate to celebrate your sister's recovery this way; blessings on you both.

Oman είπε...

what a lovely and interesting place. i love the structural designs of the place. thanks for taking us into this virtual tour.

Jim είπε...

Your photos brought back great memories of my holidays in Greece.
Sydney – City and Suburbs

Anette είπε...

Lovely photos from a lovely trip!

Tamara Jansen είπε...

Hi Antigoni! I just picked up my beautiful gift from the post office and I wanted to send you the biggest hug for being so sweet. You and your sister are just AMAZING! WE've been doing a lot of travelling this past month so I've missed a bit of time with my granddaughter but now I'm back and loving every minute of it.

Your trip looks gorgeous! I love the view from the bow of a boat :)

I wish you many blessings from across the world!

D Herrod είπε...

Beautiful. I find old churches interesting.

Tina είπε...

i havent been on a boat for years. the scenery is just so gorgeous

Tina from
Mummy Diaries
Game FreakZ
Gossip Avenue
Travel Shack